Do you want to increase and enhance your knowledge about the ins and outs of credit?
Are you interested in specialising in the different areas of credit, risk and financial management?
Or, are you wanting to complete a degree recognised by the Financial Sector Conduct Authority for FAIS Fit and Proper purposes?
If you answered yes to any of the questions, then you should consider completing Milpark Education’s Bachelor of Commerce with a major in Credit.
Offered via Distance Learning (DL) and Distance Learning Online (DLO) - Click here to find out more about our Ways to study
Credit is a subject that affects many industries. It comes into play when someone extends credit terms to a business customer in an industrial corporation or to an individual customer in a retail environment. It could affect whether a financial institution grants a loan to an individual or to a business customer, or whether a government or corporation issues and sells bonds to the public as a way of financing a project.
The purpose of the Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) degree is to provide a broad but solid educational foundation to students in the field of commerce, including various key discipline areas such as business management, accounting and economics. The qualification has been designed to provide the knowledge base, practical competence and application skills that would enable students either to enter the labour market or to pursue further studies in this field.
The BCom degree with a major in Credit will provide a solid base from which graduates can operate at specialist or firstlevel management in an environment that deals with credit transactions. If a student is career-orientated and seeking a more senior management position, a BCom with a major in Credit can also function as articulation into a BCom Honours or a Postgraduate Diploma in Banking, Credit, Finance or even Business Administration.
The BCom degree appears on the Financial Sector Conduct Authority’s (FSCA) list of recognised qualifications for FAIS Fit and Proper purposes.
The programme would be suitable for:
Successful completion of this qualification should enable the student to:
Kindly note that there is an overview factsheet available that provides information on all the different BCom majors offered by Milpark.
MAJOR: CREDIT: MINIMUM 393 CREDITS
|Semester 1||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
||Induction to Business Studies*
Principles of Microeconomics
Principles of Accounting
Introduction to Business Management
Regulation and Compliance in the
Personal and Small Business Credit**
Financial Management 1
Financial Management 2
|Semester 2||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
||Principles of Macroeconomics**
Applied Financial Accounting**
|Total credits per year||154||115||124|
* Please note that Induction to Business Studies and Business Numeracy are only offered via Distance Learning Online (DLO) and should be completed in the first semester of study in year 1.
** NOTE: specialist modules relating to your chosen major may be on offer via distance learning only.
If the candidate matriculated in 2007 or earlier
Candidates who matriculated in 2007 or earlier require:
1. A Senior Certificate with matriculation endorsement/exemption for degree studies. Candidates who have a Senior Certificate but who do not meet the matriculation endorsement/exemption requirements stated above, may apply to Universities South Africa (USAF), for mature age exemption (https://mb.usaf.ac.za/); and
2. A symbol of E or higher for Mathematics on HG, or a symbol of D or higher for Mathematics on SG. Candidates who do not meet the Mathematics requirement may beoffered admission on condition that they successfully complete the BCom bridging programme, if they have achieved at least a symbol of E on HG or a C on SG in any two of the following subjects:
If the candidate matriculated in 2008 or later
Candidates who matriculated in 2008 or later require:
1. A National Senior Certificate (NSC) with a minimum of 50% in four NSC 20-credit subjects, including English as the language of instruction at Milpark Education, as certified by Umalusi. Candidates who have a National Senior Certificate (NSC) but who do not meet the matriculation endorsement/exemption requirements stated above, may apply to Universities South Africa (USAF), for mature age exemption (https://mb.usaf.ac.za/); and
2. A minimum mark of 50% for Mathematics or 70% for Mathematics Literacy. Candidates who do not meet the Mathematics requirement but who have achieved a minimum mark of 50% or higher in any two of the following subjects may be offered admission on condition that they successfully complete the bridging programme:
Candidates who have completed a relevant Higher Certificate (NQF 5) or Diploma (NQF 6) in the field of business or commerce, may also be admitted to the BCom degree.
Any applicant who has a certificate other than a South African National Senior Certificate has to provide:
Milpark admits a small number of students onto its programme via Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Applicants interested in applying via RPL will be considered individually by the relevant Dean.
Distance Learning Online (DLO)
Distance Learning (DL)
|Cycle 1||Semester 1|
|Close of Registration: 17 January 2023||Close of Admission/application: 3 February 2023|
|Close of Registration: 11 February 2023|
|Cycle 2||Semester 2|
|Close of Registration: 14 March 2023||Close of Admission/application: 7 July 2023|
|Close of Registration: 15 July 2023|
|Close of Registration: 27 June 2023|
|Close of Registration: 22 August 2023|
With your BCom majoring in Credit degree, why not continue your learning journey with a related Postgraduate Diploma qualification?