Last updated on: 12 July 2021
1. Who and where we are
Milpark Education (Pty) Ltd (“we”, “our”, “us”) is a private company in the Republic of South Africa. We are registered with the South African Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) as a Private Higher Education Institution (No. 2007/HE07/003). Milpark Education’s qualifications are listed on the National Qualifications Framework by SAQA. Milpark is also accredited by several SETAs to offer tuition towards a variety of TVET learning programmes. For more information, view our website at www.milpark.ac.za or our PAIA & POPIA manual available on our website.
Our contact details:
Milpark Education, Cnr Dreyer and Protea Road, Claremont, Cape Town
Milpark Education, P O Box 44235, Claremont, 7735
Tel: +27 086 999 0001
Email: [email protected]
For Privacy queries, please contact [email protected]
2. Where we stand on privacy
Milpark Education is committed to effective Privacy Management. In July 2020, Milpark Education Executives adopted the following Privacy Vision and Objectives:
Milpark Education appreciates the importance of the human right to privacy in the Information Age, and we recognise our ethical and legal duties to protect the personal information we process. Every employee has a role to play and is guided by our organisational values, policies and training. Together, we ensure that:
(1) we limit the personal information we collect to the minimum required for the purpose,
(2) only our trained, authorised employees access personal information,
(3) personal information is only shared with third parties as allowed for by law,
(4) the security and confidentiality of personal information are protected through up-to-date security safeguards; and
(5) stakeholders are informed and involved as is reasonable and fair.
Our objectives are to:
- comply with the law;
- align with best practices; and
- position Milpark as a trustworthy custodian of personal information and, therefore, further our commitment to quality education as a preferred service provider to students and corporate clients.
3. What this document covers
This is a General Privacy Notice related to the use of the Milpark Education websites (www.milpark.ac.za, https://caconnect.co.za/ and https://informationofficer.co.za/milpark, and their associated pages); collectively, “our websites”. Other privacy notices are available as follows:
- Applicants, students and alumni: Please refer to the Student Privacy Notice, available in the application and registration processes, and on the student portal.
- Employment applicants: Please refer to the Employment Applicant Privacy Notice, available in the application process.
- Additional Privacy Notices: Milpark Education may make additional Privacy Notices available wherever personal information is collected.
- Information on the processing of personal information and records held by Milpark Education is also available in the PAIA and POPIA Manual.
Note that some links on our website may direct you to third-party websites, over which Milpark does not exercise any control. Please view their Privacy Notices on their respective websites.
“Browser” means an application used to access and view this website, including, but not limited to, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
“Cookies” are small text files created by a website and that are stored in the user’s computer, either temporarily for that session only or permanently on the hard disk (called a persistent cookie). Cookies provide a way for the website to recognise you and keep track of your preferences.
“Data” means information in electronic form.
“IP address” means a unique address that identifies a device on the Internet or local network.
“Personal information” means information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person and, where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person, including, but not limited to:
a) information relating to the race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, national, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental health, well-being, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth of the person;
b) information relating to the education or the medical, financial, criminal or employment history of the person;
c) any identifying number, symbol, email address, physical address, telephone number, location information, online identifier or other assignment to the person;
d) the biometric information of the person;
e) the personal opinions, views or preferences of the person;
f) correspondence sent by the person that is implicitly or explicitly of a private or confidential nature, or further correspondence that would reveal the contents of the original correspondence;
g) the views or opinions of another individual about the person; and
h) the name of the person, if it appears with other personal information relating to the person, or if the disclosure of the name itself would reveal information about the person.
“POPIA” means the Protection of Personal Information, 2013 (Act No. 4 of 2013) in the Republic of South Africa.
“Social Networking Services” means web-based services that allow people to communicate, collaborate or connect. Examples are Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn etc.
“Tracking pixel” means a 1×1 image created with a small piece of HTML coding and that is used to track behaviour when a user lands a website page or clicks into an email.
“Traffic data” means any data processed for the purpose of the conveyance of a communication on an electronic communications network in respect of that communication, and includes data relating to the routing, duration or time of a communication.
“User / you / your” means a person who uses a computer or other device to access this website.
5. Personal information collected using our websites
Milpark Education collects the personal information that you input when you submit an enquiry, make a request, use the live chat function, request a quotation, join a mailing list, submit an online application, or use any form available on our websites. Some information may be collected automatically – please refer to Sections 6 and 7 below for more information on this.
Information collected on the website will only be used for the purpose for which you provide it, including any associated processes that support that purpose, or as otherwise consented to by you, or as allowed for by law. Student applicants: Please refer to the Student Privacy Notice for more information. For a more detailed list of purposes for which we process personal information throughout our business (not limited to the use of our websites), please refer to our PAIA & POPIA Manual.
On our websites, mandatory data fields will be indicated and are necessary to process the requests that can be made our websites. Should you wish not to provide mandatory data fields, we will not be able to process your request from our websites.
Information that is collected on our website is generally hosted and processed locally, but where service providers are used in other territories, we choose and/or contract with them in such a manner that a similar level of protection is provided as in South Africa. Where this is not reasonably practicable, our applicable Privacy Notices, Terms and Conditions, or requests for consent will inform you as needed.
We respect your right to privacy, and we will only share your information with third parties if (a) you have consented to the sharing, or (b) it is required by law, or (c) it is necessary to fulfil the purpose for which you provided it, or (d) other legitimate reasons as provided for in law.
Student applicants should refer to the Student Privacy Notice and the Student Terms and Conditions for information regarding transborder flow of student information, other parties with whom information is shared, and other important information.
For information on your rights to access to information and privacy, and how to make requests in terms of POPIA and PAIA, please see our PAIA & POPIA manual, available on our www.milpark.ac.za website.
6. Cookies and tracking pixels
Milpark Education may use tracking technologies (such as cookies and tracking pixels) on our websites and digital adverts on third-party platforms to collect information about website use. The information collected may include, but is not limited to:
- IP address
- Search terms used
- Application (browser) used to access our website
- Location information
- Activity on our website (pages visited, time spent etc.)
- Language used
- Date and time stamps
The information listed above is collected for the following purposes:
- Advertising and the measurement of performance of advertising campaigns
- To investigate technical errors or other issues with our website, applications and services
- Site features and services – e.g. to store preferences
- To optimise performance and improve the website’s user experience
- Security reasons
Milpark Education uses google analytics and Facebook tracking to analyse non-identifiable traffic data, in order to improve our services and marketing campaigns.
7. Social networking services and other third-party platforms
Where you interact with Milpark Education via social networking services or websites belonging to third parties, those parties may collect information about you for their purposes, in accordance with their privacy and cookie policies, over which Milpark does not have control.
Social networking services may track your use of Milpark Education’s website on those pages where their links are displayed. If you are logged in to those services (including any Google service) while using Milpark’s website, their tracking will be associated with your profile with those service providers, over which Milpark Education exercises no control.
Please refer to the Privacy Notices available in webinars for more information.
9. Direct marketing
Users of our websites are free to choose whether you opt in (that is, consent to) receiving further marketing messages from us (beyond a response to your initial enquiry), by selecting the relevant tick box. You may change your mind at any time, and the options for opting out are described below. Note that checking the tick box serves as your signature, as per the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act, 2002 (Act No. 25 of 2002), and forms an agreement with our Marketing Manager, Claudia Katz.
Should you opt in (that is, provide consent) to receive direct marketing messages from us, we will save this instruction against your provided email address or telephone number, since we do not collect other unique identifiers for users who are not students, applicants or pre-screening candidates. Should you change your consent status using a different email address or telephone number, the new status will reflect with those contact details only. To change your consent status on the original contact details, you may use the ‘stop’ or ‘unsubscribe’ links or function that will be included in the messages, or you may send an email to [email protected], or contact us telephonically.
Pre-screening candidates, applicants and students are considered customers of Milpark Education, since a service is delivered to them, and so, are automatically opted in to direct marketing, and may opt out by using the ‘stop’ or ‘unsubscribe’ link or function contained in direct marketing messages, or sending an email to [email protected], or contacting us telephonically. Applicants also have the option to opt out from direct marketing during the application process and students may change their direct marketing consent status on the Student Portal. Customers should note that making an enquiry through the website without opting in to receiving direct marketing messages, will not automatically opt them out. To do so, please use any of the methods described above.
Signing the consent to direct marketing, on behalf of Milpark Education, is our Marketing Manager, Claudia Katz.
Note that the following messages are not considered direct marketing and are not affected by your marketing consent status:
- Responses to enquiries made on our websites; and
- Messages to pre-screening candidates, applicants, students and alumni related to academic administration, application and registration processing, and student journey management.
10. Data subject requests
11. Your duties and responsibilities
Users of our websites have the following responsibilities:
- Website users may only input their own personal information onto our websites. The exception is where a request is made in terms of POPIA or PAIA – please refer to our PAIA & POPIA Manual for more information.
- You may only input your personal information on our websites if you are 18 years or older. If you are under the age of 18 years, and would like to speak to us, please call us on 086 999 0001.
- The data you input on our websites must be accurate, complete and not misleading. Please let us know if your information changes. Students and alumni may update their information on the Student Portal. If you are not a student or alumnus, please email our Information Officer at [email protected].
12. Further notices